I´d like to first recognize that I´m stealing this blog entry idea from Cara, but I thought it was too good an idea to pass up. Thanks Cara!
The fact that I am a Jesuit Volunteer in Andahuaylillas, Peru points to the privilege I am able to exercise. As a citizen of the US, I am able to travel and live with ease in South America (the reverse, as we know, is much more difficult). As someone from the US middle class, I was able to receive a bachelor’s degree from one of the best public schools in the US (without which I could not have applied for JVC). Because of the love and support (both emotional and economic) of my family over the years and now, I´m able to live outside of my family and community without worrying about responsibilities.
And within the community of Andahuaylillas, we also have privileges that many of our neighbors do not: a steady budget for food, single rooms, hot water for showers and an almost celebrity presence - to name a few.
Additionally, one of the privileges I´ve experienced here is meeting some pretty important people. A few weeks ago, Fe y Alegria (where I teach English), was gifted a new computer lab and internet for the first time ever. This has been very exciting and allows Mateo and me to assign more homework involving the internet to our students. Among those in attendance was the Peruvian Minister for the Woman who talked to students and their families about taking charge of their education.
I think I´ve mentioned before, but we have quickly become friends with four Peruvian nuns who moved to Andahuaylillas the week after us and are doing some amazing things in the community. We love them and I´ll be sure to blog about our adventures with them soon! The same week we met the Minister for the Woman, we met the international head of their order who was in Peru (she´s American) on a tour.
Last week, we had the privilege of meeting the Peruvian Provincial of the Jesuits. He was in Cusco and Quispicanchi for part of the week and led the mass for youth and young adults. He´s a great character and I hope we´ll have the fortune of meeting him again.
And this coming Saturday, we´ll have the opportunity to meet the Italian ambassador (and Cara´s giving her a tour of Quispicanchi).
These are just a few of the people we´ve met who have an interest in this small, but amazing community I have the privilege of being a part of.
I´m going to drastically change the subject here, but since I haven´t written in a while, I need to let you know of a big change that happened in our community last month. Our community-mate Jess returned to the US at the end of March because of health reasons. It was hard time for all of us (and obviously especially for Jess), but she is doing better now. Prayers for her health are greatly appreciated.
As many of you know, Sierra Service Project (SSP) has been a big part of my life for the last 13 years. SSP had their hiring weekend a few weeks ago, so a shout and prayers for all of you who will be working this summer!
Today is Palm Sunday and we participated in a wonderful procession throughout Andahuaylillas. We´ve been told that Holy Week is pretty darn amazing here, and I already have some great pictures from today, so I hope to give an update next week on all that happens here.
Finally, two special people in my life are having birthdays this week so I´d like to give a shout out to them...Happy Birthday Daddy! Happy Birthday Lindsey!
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks Mal! Love you lots!
ReplyDelete-Lindsey